New York News
Chelsea Clinton visits neighborhoods hard-hit by Sandy
NEW YORK -- Chelsea Clinton visited two New York City neighborhoods badly damaged by Superstorm Sandy on Saturday, almost exactly one year after the storm wreaked havoc on them, and helped a family build their new house.
The former first daughter visited locations in Far Rockaway, Queens and on Staten Island.
Clinton helped the Lyons family hammer nails into a piece of siding at what will be the family's new home in Far Rockaway.
The family of five was in Brooklyn when Sandy hit.
When the family returned home a few days later their house completely destroyed, said Lintia Duncan-Lyons, a mother of five. "It was horrible, everything in the house was devastated," she said.
The new house is being built by the New Orleans-based St. Bernard Project with various partners that met through the Clinton Global Initiative.
St. Bernard held a competition for architects to design a "resilient" house for the area.
Duncan-Lyons said she can't wait for the house to be completed.
Construction is expected to be completed in July.
Clinton said she was thrilled that the family would get a home that is safe, secure, beautiful and affordable.
Saturday was the second Sandy-related "Day of Action" the Clinton Foundation has sponsored, working with thousands of volunteers.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, chelsea clinton, superstorm sandy, new york news
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- AccuWeather: Much Colder 22 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian jet widens
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Sick patrons interrupt Broadway show performance
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Video: Manhattan clinches first NCAA bid in a decade
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
22 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos