New York News
Woman found murdered under blanket, boyfriend arrested
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police have arrested the boyfriend of a woman who was found dead under a blanket in Brooklyn.
30-year-old Alex Jeffrey is facing murder charges.
It's not known why the Bedford-Stuyvesant man allegedly killed her.
Neighbors described Merceda Young as a hardworking single mom who focused on her teenaged son and pre-teen daughter.
The 35-year-old was found dead underneath a blanket Tuesday near Kent and Division Avenues in Williamsburg.
She was stabbed several times in the neck.
"I'm devastated. She was so close to me and I didn't even know. I feel real bad. It's such a tragedy," said Kevin Hugget, a neighbor.
Neighbors say young lived on Chatterson Avenue in the Bronx for seven years.
They say she was heavily involved in her community including working with the YWCA.
The organization said, "We are saddened to learn of the brutal murder of Merceda Young. Our hearts go out to her family and friends during this difficult time."
What long time neighbors just can't understand is how such a peaceful person could wind up murdered.
"We were wondering how this happened because she's a good person," said Lina Khalid, a neighbor, "She never stand outside. She don't talk to people like that. She's a good person. She never gave any problems."
Neighbors say Young's children are now with their father.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, williamsburg, body found, brooklyn news, new york news, carolina leid
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 44 min ago
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets 42 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
31 min ago