New York News
NYPD Commissioner Kelly shouted down at Brown University
PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly was shouted down by protesters at Brown University Tuesday, forcing administrators at the Ivy League school to call off his lecture on "Proactive Policing in America's Biggest City."
More than 100 students and social justice activists turned out to protest the NYPD's stop-and-frisk policy and its surveillance of Muslims. Many of them began shouting and chanting inside the lecture hall as the event began.
Brown officials asked protesters to allow Kelly to speak and reserve their comments until a question-and-answer session. When the shouting continued, the hall was cleared.
Students opposed to Kelly's visit first petitioned the university to cancel the lecture, according to Jenny Li, a Brown student who helped organize the protest.
When the university did not cancel the event, "we decided to cancel it for them," Yi said. She called the protest "a powerful demonstration of free speech."
Brown University President Christina Paxson said the protest "deprived the campus and the Providence community of an opportunity to hear and discuss important social issues."
"The conduct of disruptive members of the audience is indefensible and an affront both to civil democratic society and to the university's core values of dialogue and the free exchange of views," Paxson said in a statement.
Paxton said in a letter to the university community she will "convey my deepest regret" to Kelly and convene a campus forum "to discuss our values and expectations as a community."
A federal judge recently ruled the department's stop-and-frisk policy violated the civil rights of minorities. The city is appealing the decision.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam 52 min ago
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 53 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap 11 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day...
49 min ago
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
52 min ago
- Man who took video explains high school fued
44 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos