New York News
Giant Staten Island Ferris wheel approved by New York City Council
NEW YORK -- The New York City Council has approved a plan for a Ferris wheel on Staten Island that's billed as one of the world's largest.
The project approved Wednesday would feature a 625-foot Ferris wheel with a view of the Statue of Liberty, New York Harbor and the Manhattan skyline.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg called it a "momentous day for Staten Island," saying it will create 2,000 jobs and draw millions of visitors each year.
The New York Wheel would be the world's tallest Ferris wheel today. But developers in Dubai are planning to build a 689-foot Ferris wheel called the Dubai Eye.
Construction of the New York Wheel is expected to begin in 2014, with a grand opening in 2016.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, staten island news, new york news
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub 28 min ago
- Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half Marathon 25 min ago
- Suspect tries to abduct 11-year old boy in Queens 7 min ago
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014