New York News
Giant Staten Island Ferris wheel approved by New York City Council
NEW YORK -- The New York City Council has approved a plan for a Ferris wheel on Staten Island that's billed as one of the world's largest.
The project approved Wednesday would feature a 625-foot Ferris wheel with a view of the Statue of Liberty, New York Harbor and the Manhattan skyline.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg called it a "momentous day for Staten Island," saying it will create 2,000 jobs and draw millions of visitors each year.
The New York Wheel would be the world's tallest Ferris wheel today. But developers in Dubai are planning to build a 689-foot Ferris wheel called the Dubai Eye.
Construction of the New York Wheel is expected to begin in 2014, with a grand opening in 2016.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, staten island news, new york news
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild, but rain expected
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Police arrest 2 in Long Island menorah vandalism
- Man dies paragliding after hitting ice
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013