New York News
Woman raped outside NYU building in Greenwich Village
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An attacker jumped a woman outside an NYU building in Greenwich Village early Thursday morning and raped her, police said.
Police say the 24-year-old victim was attacked at NYU's Center for Academic and Spiritual Life, where she volunteers working with Catholic college students. It happened just across the street from Washington Square Park around 5:30 a.m.
The suspect likely followed her along the south side of the park and approached her from behind as she was keying herself into the building.
According to authorities, the suspect pushed her inside, r ipped the victim's clothes and proceeded to rape her. The victim screamed and fought the suspect off. He then fled the scene.
The suspect was last seen running south on Laguardia Place and east on West 3rd Street. NYPD has released surveillance video of the suspect (click to watch).
The woman, a neighborhood resident, sustained injuries to her face and body and was being treated in a nearby hospital in stable condition.
Police say the suspect is described as a black man, tall with muscular build, wearing dark grey sweater, dark colored jeans, black fedora style hat and ace bandage around his right hand.
A red cloth bag with the name "Mr. Right," a blue bag and a black hat (click to see photo) were recovered at the scene.
NYU released a statement to the community, urging them to be alert.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, greenwich village, assault, new york news
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause 43 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mayor names Kathryn Garcia new head of sanitation
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Photos: Bus hits cars in Brooklyn
- Man, 65, shot to death on street in Clinton Hill
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for...
43 min ago