New York News
Brooklyn court day for man accused of fatally stabbing woman, 4 kids
SUNSET PARK (WABC) -- The man charged with stabbing four young children and their mother to death will be in a Brooklyn court Friday morning.
A grand jury will decide whether to indict 25-year-old Mingdong Chen for the murders of his cousin's wife and her children with a meat cleaver inside their Sunset Park apartment on Saturday night.
He did not enter a plea when he was arraigned earlier this week in the deaths of 37-year-old Qiao Zhen Li and her children, Linda, 9; Amy, 7; Kevin, 5; and 18-month-old William, all with the last name Zhuo.
Investigators say Chen is a transient from China who was staying with the family for only a week.
Police said Chen stabbed and slashed the victims in their necks and torsos. The family was found in various rooms in their apartment on the first floor of a two-story brick house. Some were hospitalized and pronounced dead; others died at the scene.
"It's a scene you'll never forget," Chief of Department Philip Banks III said.
Chen had been staying with the family for about a week. He was a transient and illegally in the United States, Assistant District Attorney Mark Hale said. An immigration hold was also placed on him.
Police said Chen apparently was envious of fellow immigrants' successes in America.
"He made a very soft comment that since he came to this country, everybody seems to be doing better than him," Banks said Sunday.
Chen was unemployed after being fired from a string of restaurant jobs he held for just a few weeks at a time, according to neighbors and relatives in the working-class Brooklyn neighborhood dominated by a large community of immigrants from China.
The children's father, Chen's cousin, was not home late Saturday evening; he was working at a Long Island restaurant, one neighbor said. The mother tried to call him because she was alarmed about Chen's behavior earlier in the evening, police said.
Neighbors and relatives said the father was distraught over the deaths.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, stabbing, brooklyn news, sunset park, new york news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control 56 min ago
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner 45 min ago
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead 13 min ago
- Photos: Stolen jewelry items in Ramsey robbery