New York News
Avonte Oquendo search extends into 4th week
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's now been more than four weeks since the disappearance of 14-year-old Avonte Oquendo, who was last seen running out of his school in Long Island City, Queens, on October 4.
Still, his family is standing by its vow to find him.
Crews were out searching again Friday night.
Since the search began, police say they've received nearly 600 tips from the public and reviewed 460 videos for any clues.
Earlier this week, a picture snapped by a 13-year-old boy on the subway injected some much-needed energy into the effort to find Avonte, who is autistic and non-verbal.
The photo showed a boy who resembles Oquendo wearing a beige jacket and green khaki pants, sitting and looking straight ahead. The teen who took the photo approached the other boy and asked if he was Avonte, but the boy didn't answer.
The NYPD confirmed the boy in the photo's identity Thursday, and it was not Avonte. Still, his family remains hopeful he will be found alive.
"It's tough, it's just a tough situation right now," dad Daniel Oquendo said. "But we're hoping for the best."
The reward for information leading to his safe return is up to $95,000.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, avonte oquendo, missing children, new york news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus 16 min ago
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span 16 min ago
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych hospital 36 min ago
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych...
36 min ago