New York News
Bronx hit and run leaves young father dead; Suspect arrested
BRONX (WABC) -- Police have arrested a suspect in a hit and run accident that killed a father of two children in the Bronx early Saturday.
The driver went the length of 233rd Street before crashing into construction materials. Surveillance video shows four people getting out of the minvan and taking off in different directions.
The driver, 22-year-old Henry Lawrence of the Bronx, surrendered to police Saturday night. He has been charged with murder and related offenses.
"I'm glad they arrested him. But there's still more," said the victim's friend, Raymond Velez.
Police are still searching for the remaing three suspects. They all survived the crash, but the man they hit on the sidewalk, 32-year-old Derrick Callender did not.
"What am I going to tell his kids? What do you want me to tell his kids now?" relative Andre Sanchez told Eyewitness News, "he was a good father to his kids."
Callender had two kids, ages two and nine. He was run over just feet from his front door. He died at Montefiore Hospital.
Neighbors and friends left candles at the spot where he was hit. Police say the erratic driving that led to Callender's death stemmed from a dispute someone in the minivan had with a clerk at the liquor store next to Callender's building.
Investigators say the clerk refused to serve alcohol to one of the van's occupants because he was behaving strangely. After that fight, security video shows two people running towards the minivan. When they get in, the Toyota pulls a sharp and dangerous u-turn on White Plains Road and then speeds towards the liquor store.
Relatives say Callender would have celebrated his 33rd birthday on Monday.
Police are looking for several other passengers who you can see jumping inside the van in surveillance video.
As their search continues, this memorial continues to grow. People in the neighborhood have been leaving money in the bucket for the family.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, bronx news, wakefield, hit and run accident, pedestrian struck, new york news, kristin thorne
- Suspect identified in attempted baby abduction 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth 2 min ago
- Party shooting leaves Kean U. student injured
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village
- Suspect identified in attempted baby...
18 min ago