New York News
Brooklyn out-of-control SUV kills boy, driver arrested
FORT GREENE (WABC) -- Police have arrested the driver of an SUV that jumped the curb onto a Brooklyn sidewalk Saturday, killing a 9-year-old boy and injuring the child's mother and brother.
59-year old Anthony Byrd faces multiple charges, including criminally negligent homicide, assault, and reckless endangerment.
The incident happened at the intersection of Dekalb Avenue and Clermont Avenue in Fort Greene just before 12:50 p.m.
Authorities say Byrd was making a turn onto a Brooklyn street just before 1 p.m. Saturday when he attempted to avoid two pedestrians in the crosswalk and hit a car. Police said he continued to hit other cars and some pedestrians.
The child was pinned and pronounced dead at the scene.
The boy's mother was among at least three others who were injured.
The FDNY says it transported four people to Kings County Hospital, including the child's 47-year-old mother and 5-year-old brother. An 18-year-old woman not believed related to the other victims was also hurt, as well as the driver of the other vehicle.
Their injuries were not believed to be life threatening.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, brooklyn news, fort greene, pedestrian struck, child killed, new york news
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out 57 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face 14 min ago
- Russians, Crimeans discuss referendum on joining Russia
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game'...
57 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos