New York News
Inwood stabbing leaves 57-year-old man dead, suspect at large
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police have identified a suspect wanted for a murder in Inwood on Sunday morning.
Detectives left the bloody crime scene with more evidence Monday, as tenants lit candles outside the apartment building where 57-year-old Hipolito Perez was their superintendent.
"He used to tell everybody good morning. Have a blessed day. Have a wonderful day. He was a great guy," said Melvin Luciano, a neighbor.
Neighbors are heartbroken and angry.
Police released a photograph of Elvido Soriano (view photo) who subleased a room in the victim's apartment and is wanted for murder.
Investigators believe he stabbed the superintendent to death in an angry dispute over unpaid rent.
What's more, tenants tell Eyewitness News that the victim had called police the day before the murder, to say he was being threatened.
The NYPD confirms a rent complaint was filed, but could not confirm whether the victim had applied for an order of protection.
"The guy didn't want to leave, and the guy threatened him on the super. Said he was going to kill him. That before he leaves he was going to shoot him. So, the super called the cops," said Ben Castillo, a neighbor.
The suspect, Elvido Soriano, is 62-years-old, 5'10", and weighs 165 pounds. He was last seen wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans, dark sneakers, and a tan baseball cap.
Anyone with information in regards to the whereabouts of Elvido Soriano is asked to call Crime stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477). You can also submit tips by logging onto the Crime stoppers website at www.nypdcrimestoppers.com or by texting tips to 274637 (CRIMES) then enter TIP577.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, inwood, stabbing, new york news, n.j. burkett
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87 3 min ago
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 35 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest 42 min ago