New York News
Arson arrest in East Harlem fire that left 4 injured
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A 23-year-old man was critically injured in an East Harlem apartment building fire early Friday that appears to be the culmination of an ongoing dispute with a woman.
"The baby is like magically not touched," said Peter Anthony, the victim's cousin.
In the exclusive video, you can see a baby girl swaddled in a white blanket leaving Mount Sinai Hospital, held in the arms of the man who friends say, saved the infant's life.
"Thanks to God and the other guy in the house who took it upon himself to break the window and hand the baby outside to the fresh air," Anthony said.
The most seriously injured in the Friday morning apartment fire was 23-year-old Eddie Perez. "He's badly hurt, they say he got 25% burn marks," said Chris Delacruz, the victim's cousin.
A picture shows the flames through the apartment window. Police say Perez, the baby, two women, and another 28-year-old man were all in an eighth floor apartment at the Dewitt Clinton Houses around 1 a.m.
That's when they say 21-year-old Manuela Lopez set a pile of clothing on fire. She was last overheard complaining about a lost cell phone.
"Everybody was sleeping and they woke up, it was fire, smoke, and the other female that was in there she had clothes all over the place," Anthony said.
"I saw one girl crying, but the other girl was like, 'but you start the fire, you start the fire,' that's all I saw," a witness said.
"And the one who is being accused, did she say anything?" Eyewitness News asked.
"No, she was just crying," the witness said.
In addition to the critically injured man and the 1-year-old girl, a 28-year-old man and a 20-year-old woman were also treated for injuries at Mount Sinai Hospital.
The suspect was taken into custody and faces serveral charges including arson.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, east harlem, manhattan news, arson, fire, new york news, darla miles
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club 56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 32 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 4 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 7 min ago
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 29 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 8 min ago
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 32 min ago
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
32 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
7 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos