New York News
10-year-old boy who says he was bullied arrested
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The 10-year old boy says he was bullied in school, but he's the one who got hauled off by police and handcuffed.
It happened in the Williamsbridge section of the Bronx.
"I was scared," said Alex Saunders, 10 years old.
More than a few 10 year olds, like Alex Saunders, may have been scared to find themselves in police custody, and escorted by officers out of his middle school.
"I was feeling bad," Saunders said.
It was over a fight at the school on Friday, the parents of an unidentified child filed a complaint with police charging Alex with assaulting their 10-year-old son. Alex says he was the victim, and not for the first time.
"I jump on the chair and the other five boys hold me," Saunders said.
"And the other five boys held you?" asked Eyewitness News reporter Art McFarland.
"Yes," Saunders said.
"While the boy whose parents reported you to police beat on you?" McFarland asked.
"Yes," Saunders said. Alex's mother had been called to the school, informed of the pending arrest, and followed to the precinct. She says she was separated from Alex and waited for three hours before Alex was released into her custody. She says Alex told her that he had been handcuffed.
"Take him out of school, and the principal allowed it to happen, take him out of school and carry him to the precinct, 47th Precinct and handcuffed him there. Now my child is treated like a criminal," said Stephanie Williams, Alex's mother.
The Department of Education said there will be unspecified disciplinary action over the incident at the school.
"I want to know if there is a law that you can have police to come into a school and take, arrest, your child," Williams said.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, bronx news, williamsbridge, bully, bullying, new york news, art mcfarland
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos