New York News
Boater rescued in water off Rikers Island
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There was a dramatic rescue in the waters off Rikers Island Friday night.
The Coast Guard received a distress message from a man on a sinking boat in the East River around 8 p.m.
The man was the only person on board the 40 foot boat when it began taking on water.
It then sank near Rikers Island.
The boater ended up in the water and was rescued by the NYPD Harbor Unit. He was not hurt.
The boat sank in about 20 feet of water.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ