New York News
Boater rescued in water off Rikers Island
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There was a dramatic rescue in the waters off Rikers Island Friday night.
The Coast Guard received a distress message from a man on a sinking boat in the East River around 8 p.m.
The man was the only person on board the 40 foot boat when it began taking on water.
It then sank near Rikers Island.
The boater ended up in the water and was rescued by the NYPD Harbor Unit. He was not hurt.
The boat sank in about 20 feet of water.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments