New York News
Staten Island ferry makes hard landing in Lower Manhattan
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A Staten Island Ferry boat had a hard landing at Whitehall Street terminal in Lower Manhattan.
The ferry left Lower Manhattan at 2:00 p.m., but experienced a power problem and had to return to Whitehall Street.
When the ferry was docking, it had a hard landing and damaged the ferry slip.
Passenger Auel Kanaybekov tells Eyewitness News they were close to docking, but the boat was moving at an accelerated speed. The boat hit the wooden barriers, and everyone short of shifted to the right, he said.
Kanaybekov says the officers on the boat started yelling to everyone to "get down! Get down!" He said an announcement warned that the boat was going to hit the bridge. People on the front of the boat turned around and start running to the back. Kanaybekov said he got knocked over because everyone was running back when the boat hit.
Officials say the ferry, named for Guy V. Molinari, did not sustain any damage.
All passengers left the ferry without injury, according to the Coast Guard.
Officials say the Staten Island Ferry should be operating on a normal schedule for the morning commute on Friday.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Missing plane may have turned back 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 49 min ago
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Clocks turned ahead one hour 2 min ago
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Sen. Rand Paul wins CPAC presidential straw poll 8 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Missing plane may have turned back
26 min ago