New York News
Possible case of MRSA at Bronx school
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A group of parents in the Bronx is outraged that they weren't notified when someone may have contracted MRSA.
It's happening at Lewis and Clark Special Education School in the Westchester Square section.
Diane Nunez says she's taking no chances and is keeping two of her children home from school in order to protect a third who suffers from Down Syndrome.
Her two older kids attend Lewis and Clark Special Education School in the Bronx where there is a suspected case of MRSA.
MRSA is a type of staph infection that is resistant to antibiotics and it can cause painful lesions. In some cases the so called superbug can be fatal.
The Department of Education won't say if the infection at the school is linked to a student, teacher, or staffer. An 11th grade student there says on Tuesday students and educators were told to wear protective latex gloves.
Initially the Department of Education said there was no need for public notification because this was an isolated case, but Thursday afternoon a letter did go home to parents from the principal.
The letter states the health department's information that "staph infections (including the drug-resistant MRSA) do not generally spread through a shared environment such as a classroom. Because of no immediate risk, it is not recommended that students be kept at home from school."
But Diane Nunez she says she wants some reassurance before she decides when to send her kids back.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, bronx news, new york news, marcus solis
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Malaysia Airlines says plane went missing 24 min ago
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD 16 min ago
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85 50 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos