New York News
Ray Kelly critical of mayoral candidates in Playboy interview
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Ray Kelly did not go easy in the article on the three main democrats who ran for mayor.
They didn't want to comment on the article, but in the December issue of Playboy magazine the New York Police Commissioner blasts them all.
He says "It was democrats& they were pandering to get votes."
Kelly was angry they were so critical about stop and frisk and critical about him. For example, Bill de Blasio in our debate back in August ripped both Christine Quinn and Commisioner Kelly.
"And she wants to keep ray Kelly as Police Commissioner - the person who is the architect of the overuse of stop and frisk that has caused so much harm in this city," de Blasio said then.
In the Playboy interview, Kelly says "I resented it. It just goes to show you what some politicians will do. They will say anything to get elected. I know all these people. They all claimed to be friends of mine."
At one the point the reporter even asked "Do you think they were full of it? Kelly says "absolutely."
On his radio show, Mayor Michael Bloomberg defended Kelly.
"People like Ray Kelly. Why? Ray Kelly's legacy is the following: 7,500 fewer people shot dead than there would have been if we just had the murder rate when he came in," he said.
Kelly also defends one of the department's most controversial tactics. He tells Playboy, "This notion that stop-and-frisk has torn the community apart is false."
He predicts possible trouble ahead for the city.
"It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that if you stop or cutail stop-and-frisk& violent crimes are going to go up," he said.
"So if Ray's legacy is saving 7,500 lives, I'd have a smile on my face if I were him. And also lower crime. The economy of our city - in the end when someone says how are things going, we always start out with crime. Sad, but it's true," Bloomberg said.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, nypd, raymond kelly, new york news, dave evans
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day 46 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 30 min ago
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath & Beyond
- High winds damage power lines, Bed, Bath & Beyond store
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
46 min ago