New York News
Queens police shooting leaves suspect wounded
FAR ROCKAWAY (WABC) -- The NYPD is investigating a police-involved shooting in the Rockaways that has left a man in critical condition.
It happened late Friday night in front of a housing project in Far Rockaway.
At about 10:30, police responded to a 911 call of a possible assault on the third floor of a building at 40-20 Beach Channel Drive.
Four uniformed officers entered the building's lobby and heard screaming coming from a stairwell.
Police say that as officers were going up the stairwell, they encountered a suspect in a landing. The man, they say, was armed.
They ordered the man to drop his weapon. Police say that instead the man ran up the stairs, then pointed his gun at the officers.
One officer fired and hit the man in the torso.
The 25-year old suspect was taken to Jamaica Hospital.
Two officers were hospitalized with minor injuries.
Police say they recovered a loaded 9mm handgun at the scene.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, queens news, far rockaway, new york city, police, new york news, marcus solis
- Large explosion, fire reported in East Harlem 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 4 min ago
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter 47 min ago
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos