New York News
Queens police shooting leaves suspect wounded
FAR ROCKAWAY (WABC) -- The NYPD is investigating a police-involved shooting in the Rockaways that has left a man in critical condition.
It happened late Friday night in front of a housing project in Far Rockaway.
At about 10:30, police responded to a 911 call of a possible assault on the third floor of a building at 40-20 Beach Channel Drive.
Four uniformed officers entered the building's lobby and heard screaming coming from a stairwell.
Police say that as officers were going up the stairwell, they encountered a suspect in a landing. The man, they say, was armed.
They ordered the man to drop his weapon. Police say that instead the man ran up the stairs, then pointed his gun at the officers.
One officer fired and hit the man in the torso.
The 25-year old suspect was taken to Jamaica Hospital.
Two officers were hospitalized with minor injuries.
Police say they recovered a loaded 9mm handgun at the scene.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, queens news, far rockaway, new york city, police, new york news, marcus solis
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls 33 min ago
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying 42 min ago
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster