New York News
Queens police shooting leaves suspect wounded
FAR ROCKAWAY (WABC) -- The NYPD is investigating a police-involved shooting in the Rockaways that has left a man in critical condition.
It happened late Friday night in front of a housing project in Far Rockaway.
At about 10:30, police responded to a 911 call of a possible assault on the third floor of a building at 40-20 Beach Channel Drive.
Four uniformed officers entered the building's lobby and heard screaming coming from a stairwell.
Police say that as officers were going up the stairwell, they encountered a suspect in a landing. The man, they say, was armed.
They ordered the man to drop his weapon. Police say that instead the man ran up the stairs, then pointed his gun at the officers.
One officer fired and hit the man in the torso.
The 25-year old suspect was taken to Jamaica Hospital.
Two officers were hospitalized with minor injuries.
Police say they recovered a loaded 9mm handgun at the scene.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, queens news, far rockaway, new york city, police, new york news, marcus solis
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 9 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 26 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate 16 min ago
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win
- Brooklyn family desperately searching for...
25 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
9 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage...
20 min ago