New York News
Queens attack leaves NYPD sergeant critically injured
SOUTH RICHMOND HILL (WABC) -- An NYPD officer was attacked outside a bar in Queens.
Sergeant Mohammed Deen was rushed to Jamaica Hospital, but was transfered Tuesday to Mount Sinai Hospital in critical but stable condition.
The incident happened outside St. John's Express restaurant on Liberty Avenue near Lefferts Boulevard in South Richmond Hill, and it was caught on cell phone video.
"I'm in shock," said Yesenia Flores, a Pelham Gardens resident.
In Mohamed Deen's Pelham Gardens neighborhood Monday night, longtime neighbors like Yesenia Flores were outraged.
"This is someone that, he put his life at risk every day because he's a cop," Flores said.
The video is so appallingly violent, all Eyewitness News can show is a single frame depicting 29-year-old Hayden Holder standing over the off-duty NYPD sergeant, after nearly killing him, police say, with his bare hands.
"He takes the sergeants head and pounds it into the pavement. It was really a vicious beating," Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.
"The assault, the savage beating taking place was so unexplainable, I'm still curious what this guy was thinking at the time," said Ed Mullins, SBA President.
Holder said nothing as police booked him. Investigators believe he and Sergeant Deen had argued at a Queens nightclub late Saturday night and later saw each other while getting food at the St. John's Express restaurant in Ozone Park.
That's where police say Holder went on the attack.
Cell phone video uploaded to YouTube shows him turning his attention on the sergeant's car where his new wife was locked inside.
After his arraignment, Holder's family refused to discuss the vicious attack.
His lawyer said both the suspect and the sergeant were drunk.
Deen's neighbors say that's no excuse for the attack.
"If he will see you bringing heavy stuff into your house he will help you, if there's a snowstorm he will be out here cleaning, helping out," a neighbor said, "It's very sad."
The 29-year-old Holder, of Queens, was arrested and charged with attempted murder and felony assault.
Deen is an 18-year veteran of the NYPD and is currently assigned to the 32nd Precinct in Harlem.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, queens news, richmond hill, officer injured, new york city, new york news, josh einiger
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park