New York News
Central Park rape suspect caught on surveillance video
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police searching for a man who allegedly raped a woman in Central Park have released new surveillance video that they hope will lead to an arrest.
The video shows the suspect and the 28-year-old victim entering the park together early Sunday morning.
Authorities say the victim was walking on East 88th Street near 5th Avenue around 3:30 a.m. when she was approached by the suspect.
They began talking and continued to walk together toward Central Park.
Both the victim and the suspect eventual entered Central Park near 100th Street, and after walking along a bike path, both sat down on a bench.
Police say the suspect then turned violent, dragging the woman into a grassy area and raping her.
The victim managed to flee the scene, and the suspect fled on foot in the opposite direction.
After the attack, the victim ran to Mount Sinai Hospital.
The suspect is described as a black male in his early 30s, standing 5-foot-6 to 5-foot-9. He was last seen wearing a red hat, black leather jacket and blue jeans.
The suspect reportedly told the victim his name was Omar.
Anyone with information in regards is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, central park, upper east side, manhattan news, rape, new york news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen