New York News
Brooklyn police involved shooting leaves one dead
BUSHWICK (WABC) -- One man has been fatally shot in a police involved shooting in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn.
Police say 22-year-old Rexford Dasrath, armed with a knife, threw a bottle at police officers as they drove up to a harassment call on Hart Avenue at about 3 p.m. on Monday.
According to police, Dasrath started banging on the windows of their patrol car. The officers got out of their police cruiser, and he ran at them with the knife, police say.
Neighbors said they heard officers telling him to drop the knife.
One officer fired on the suspect, striking him in the chest. Police say at least five shots were fired, and Dasrath was hit several times.
Dasrath, was pronounced dead at Woodhull Hospital. Authorities say he lived in the neighborhood.
The officers were not hurt, nor were any bystanders.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Designer L'Wren Scott dead in apparent suicide 40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Afternoon
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays
- Shelton teen critical after being shot in head
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Crimea parliament declares independence after vote
- Los Angeles earthquake felt by residents
- Photos: Dancing With The Stars Season 18 cast
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon