New York News
Central Park rape person of interest identified
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police have identified the person they are looking to talk to in an alleged rape that took place in Central Park over the weekend.
Authorities want to speak with 32-year-old Omar Hoist in connection with the attack.
Surveillance video captured the 28-year-old victim with a man outside the park early Sunday morning.
The victim was walking on East 88th Street near 5th Avenue around 3:30 a.m. when police say she was approached by the suspect.
They began talking and continued to walk together toward Central Park.
Both the victim and the suspect eventual entered Central Park near 100th Street, and after walking along a bike path, both sat down on a bench.
Police say the suspect then turned violent, dragging the woman into a grassy area and raping her.
The victim managed to flee the scene, and the suspect fled on foot in the opposite direction.
After the attack, the victim ran to Mount Sinai Hospital.
Anyone with information in regards is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, central park, upper east side, manhattan news, rape, new york news
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster 55 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 46 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
55 min ago