New York News
Central Park rape suspect caught, charged
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police have arrested a homeless man in connection with an alleged rape that took place in Central Park over the weekend.
Authorities on Tuesday identified the man caught on camera walking with the victim as 32-year-old Omar Hoist, who was later taken into custody inside Metropolitan Hospital in East Harlem.
Police say the 28-year-old victim was walking on East 88th Street near 5th Avenue around 3:30 a.m. Sunday when she was approached by the suspect.
They began talking and continued to walk together toward Central Park, eventually entering the park near 100th Street, walking along a bike path and sitting on a bench.
That's when Hoist allegedly turned violent, dragging the woman into a grassy area and raping her.
The victim managed to flee the scene, running to Mount Sinai Hospital.
Hoist is charged with first-degree rape, strangulation and assaut.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, central park, upper east side, manhattan news, rape, new york news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 51 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K 55 min ago
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role 16 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
51 min ago