New York News
Baby Hope murder suspect indicted
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The man accused of killing the little girl known as "Baby Hope" has officially been indicted. Conrado Juarez has been charged with Murder in the Second Degree.
Juarez allegedly killed his young cousin in 1991 and dumped her body along a highway in upper Manhattan.
The child has since been identified as Anjelica Castillo, and the name was officially changed on her headstone last week, more than 20 years after her death.
Juarez was initially arraigned on a murder charge after his October 12 arrest.
Police say he confessed to sexually abusing and suffocating Anjelica, but he now claims the confession was coerced.
Juarez, 52, is being held at Riker's Island.
He spoke in a jailhouse interview during which he admitted helping a relative dump the body, but he says he is not the killer.
In the confession, Juarez admitted to smothering the girl with her pillow to hide her screams while he sexually assaulted her.
Juarez expressed resignation over spending the rest of his life behind bars. His attorney says cops forced him to confess by depriving him of sleep.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, murder, new york city, new york news
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos