New York News
Baby Hope murder suspect indicted
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The man accused of killing the little girl known as "Baby Hope" has officially been indicted. Conrado Juarez has been charged with Murder in the Second Degree.
Juarez allegedly killed his young cousin in 1991 and dumped her body along a highway in upper Manhattan.
The child has since been identified as Anjelica Castillo, and the name was officially changed on her headstone last week, more than 20 years after her death.
Juarez was initially arraigned on a murder charge after his October 12 arrest.
Police say he confessed to sexually abusing and suffocating Anjelica, but he now claims the confession was coerced.
Juarez, 52, is being held at Riker's Island.
He spoke in a jailhouse interview during which he admitted helping a relative dump the body, but he says he is not the killer.
In the confession, Juarez admitted to smothering the girl with her pillow to hide her screams while he sexually assaulted her.
Juarez expressed resignation over spending the rest of his life behind bars. His attorney says cops forced him to confess by depriving him of sleep.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, murder, new york city, new york news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 55 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Liam Neeson to tour stables amid carriage horse debate
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
55 min ago