New York News
Was Rep. Grace Meng a knockout game victim?
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Congresswoman Grace Meng, a freshman Democrat representing Queens, is back at work after getting hit in the head and robbed in Washington.
Rep. Meng was at a citizenship ceremony on Friday, and afterward she was asked if she thought she was a victim of the so called "knockout game."
"We're not sure," she said. "I don't remember honestly."
Walking home from the Capitol on Tuesday night, Meng was struck in the head from behind and knocked out. Her purse was stolen and some believe she may be the victim of the disturbing and growing trend of assaulting people without any reason.
In one recent case in Brooklyn, a couple approached 63-year-old Lauro Ponce on a street. It is a brutal form of the knockout game, and like Congresswoman Meng, the man was robbed afterward, almost as an afterthought.
U.S. Capitol Police are investigating the attack against Meng, and no arrests had been made.
Meng, 38, is the first Asian-American member of Congress from New York and represents neighborhoods with a high concentration of Chinese-Americans. She served in the New York State Assembly before she was elected last fall in the midst of a bribery case against her father, Jimmy Meng, who also served in the state assembly. Jimmy Meng pleaded guilty to wire fraud and was sentenced this year to one month in prison.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news, jim dolan
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement 30 min ago
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half 44 min ago
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown 50 min ago
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
30 min ago
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after...
50 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos