New York News
Was Rep. Grace Meng a knockout game victim?
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Congresswoman Grace Meng, a freshman Democrat representing Queens, is back at work after getting hit in the head and robbed in Washington.
Rep. Meng was at a citizenship ceremony on Friday, and afterward she was asked if she thought she was a victim of the so called "knockout game."
"We're not sure," she said. "I don't remember honestly."
Walking home from the Capitol on Tuesday night, Meng was struck in the head from behind and knocked out. Her purse was stolen and some believe she may be the victim of the disturbing and growing trend of assaulting people without any reason.
In one recent case in Brooklyn, a couple approached 63-year-old Lauro Ponce on a street. It is a brutal form of the knockout game, and like Congresswoman Meng, the man was robbed afterward, almost as an afterthought.
U.S. Capitol Police are investigating the attack against Meng, and no arrests had been made.
Meng, 38, is the first Asian-American member of Congress from New York and represents neighborhoods with a high concentration of Chinese-Americans. She served in the New York State Assembly before she was elected last fall in the midst of a bribery case against her father, Jimmy Meng, who also served in the state assembly. Jimmy Meng pleaded guilty to wire fraud and was sentenced this year to one month in prison.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news, jim dolan
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 32 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
32 min ago