New York News
Suspect in shooting of Brooklyn teenager caught on camera, police continue to search
EAST NEW YORK (WABC) -- She finally made it home, but instead of walking into her Brooklyn apartment building, the 14-year-old with a bullet wound in her left let used crutches. Fearing retribution, her parents asked Eyewitness News not to identify their daughter.
Crimestoppers posted fliers around the neighborhood in East New York with a picture of the person who they say shot the teen as she walked home from school Friday afternoon along Sutter Avenue.
Investigators say the suspect was aiming at someone else.
"I heard only five shots over there," said eyewitness Issic Alsaidi.
Police released surveillance video of the suspect running through a nearby gas station after firing the shots. The 14-year-old stumbled forward after getting shot, and then staggered towards the gas station for help.
Good Samaritans and first-responders rushed to her side, and she was rushed to Kings County Hospital. Eyewitnesses said she was scared she was going to die.
"She's a straight A student, she didn't deserve this," said the victim's mom Charisse Tucker, "who would think you'd get shot coming home from school?"
The teen's parents talked to reporters Friday night and said they feared for their daughter's safety, worried someone in their neighborhood might try to harm her.
"Walk into the 75th Precinct and turn yourself in, because they've got you all over cameras. It's a done deal, you're going to go to jail," said community organizer John Rodriguez of the 75th Precinct Community Council.
Rodriguez says he is tired of the violence on the streets of Brooklyn, but he is hopeful there are better days ahead as the neighborhood stands up against crime.
"There are too many guns on the street," Rodriguez adds.
Police say the suspect is between 19 and 20 years old, and is about 5'9" and 170 pounds. He was last seen wearing a black sweatshirt and dark pants.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos