New York News
Homeless man charged with pushing man onto Harlem subway tracks
HARLEM (WABC) -- Police arrested a homeless man Saturday on charges of pushing a 72-year-old man onto subway tracks in Harlem Friday.
Police say the victim, who was with his wife on the platform, ended up on the tracks of the uptown A train at 145th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue at about 4:30 p.m.
"I just did what comes naturally. I'm a caring person, so if I see somebody in need, I'm going to help them," said Jaden Regis, a Good Samaritan.
And that's exactly what he did last Friday after he saw the victim on the tracks in Hamilton Heights.
Cellphone video captured the frantic moment Jaden Regis and two other Good Samaritans lifted the critically injured man back up onto the platform, as his distraught wife screamed in the background.
In the video, you can see Jaden on the platform after the victim had been rescued, apparently just in time.
"After we picked him up, two minutes later or a minute later, the train came. So, it was like we helped him, you know," Regis said.
72-year-old Shou Kuan Lin is in critical condition at St. Luke's Hospital.
Rudralall Baldeo, the homeless man accused of pushing him, is charged with attempted murder and felony assault.
Police are looking for the other Good Samaritans who came to the rescue.
"We'd like to find them and thank them," Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.
"How does that make you feel?" Eyewitness News asked.
"That makes me feel great," Regis said.
The suspect, 57-year-old Rudralall Baldeo, is charged with second degree attempted murder and assault.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, harlem, new york city, subway crime, new york news, sandra bookman
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- $270 million up for grabs in Friday Mega Millions drawing
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos