New York News
Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
NEW YORK (WABC) -- New York City police say thieves broke into Keri Russell's Brooklyn home while she was sleeping and two men are now under arrest.
50-year-old Ronald Swindell turned his face from the camera as he walked out of the 84th precinct in handcuffs.
His 19-year-old nephew Steffon Swindell was right behind him.
Both now charged with burglarizing two homes in Brooklyn Heights overnight.
Wednesday evening, Officers were back on the scene of the first home hit and looking for more evidence.
It belongs to actress Keri Russell who stars in the TV series "The Americans". She may be best known for her role on "Felicity". She was sleeping on the ground floor at the time and discovered later that a laptop, handbag, and jewelry had been stolen. The burglars had apparently entered through an open window.
"We live on the ground floor, so I'll certainly be making sure we close our windows and keep then locked," said Chris Beardsley, a Brooklyn Heights resident.
Just a few blocks away on Remsen, thieves broke into yet another ground floor apartment, but this time the owner called police immediately. The suspects were arrested nearby.
Police now confirm Ronald Swindell was just released from prison two weeks ago. In total, he's served 18 years behind bars, four separate terms, for burglary and attempted burglary.
A publicist for Russell would only say, "Everyone is fine and Keri sends her thanks to the police."
And most neighbors Eyewitness News talked with didn't seem overly concerned about the burglaries.
"I don't think this made my neighborhood an unsafe neighborhood," said Harry Kaplan, a Brooklyn Heights resident.
Elena Mehas just bought a new apartment down there.
"Yeah a little bit of concern, but at the same time, you know, it's New York. I mean, I think it happens everywhere," Mehas said.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, burglary, brooklyn news, new york news, sandra bookman
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act