New York News
Bitter cold moves into New York area, prompting black ice warnings
NEW YORK (WABC) -- With bitter cold settling into the New York area Wednesday, drivers were warned to take caution on the roads and beware of black ice conditions.
Temperatures are expected to be well below normal for the next three days, with Wednesday's high only reaching 30, with wind chills of about 20.
Forecasters say more snow, sleet and freezing rain are possible Saturday and Sunday.
The freezing cold turned the precipitation that fell Tuesday into ice. Driving can be especially slick on elevated surfaces and on ramps leading to and from highways.
Boris from Staten Island returned to his car in Downtown Brooklyn Tuesday night to find water droplets on his windows were frozen solid.
"That's the danger, because it's frozen. You will not see it on the road, you will not see it on your windshield," Boris said, "Many things are dangerous, some things you can prevent."
Sanitation crews are working around the clock to salt down trouble spots like in Park Slope.
With the mercury dropping, the city's Office of Emergency Management is monitoring every step of the coming deep freeze.
It could also have an impact on mass transit too.
And then there are the sidewalks, many of which in the neighborhood never were properly shoveled before the temperatures took their tumble.
"You have to be careful when you walk because you're going to slip and, you know, get hurt," said Victor Soto, a pedestrian.
"That's why I got my arm around her, in case she falls, she falls backwards with me," said Kenny Mohabeer, a pedestrian.
Information about storm responses can be obtained on the city's website or by calling 311.
New Yorkers are also encouraged to sign up for the Notify NYC system. It sends information through phone calls, text messages and email alerts.
CLICK HERE to download the AccuTrack Weather Alert App.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news, josh einiger
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery 45 min ago
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms 42 min ago
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus 20 min ago
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital