New York News
Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A British tourist who lost a leg when a taxi jumped a curb and hit her in New York's Rockefeller Center has started the process of suing the city.
"That driver could have been of the streets, he wasn't off the streets, and as a result, my client has no leg, pretty serious," said Daniel Marchese, the victim's attorney.
There has never been any debate that 23-year-old Sian Green lost her leg after being hit by a cab back in August, and Mohammed Himon was behind the wheel.
He walked away with a 30-day suspension from the TLC. It's something Green, who spoke to Eyewitness News upon her release from Bellevue, can't do yet.
"I just said, 'Please save my leg', but there was nothing they could do," Green said.
But Green's attorney, Daniel Marchese, thinks something could have been done to prevent the accident, suspending Himon's license which had seven points on it.
Police say Himon engaged in a road rage with a bike messenger, jumped the curb, and hit Green on West 49th and 6th Avenue. The TLC later admitted because of a computer glitch, it didn't realize at the time that Himon and about 4,500 cabbies shouldn't have been on the road. That's why Marchese filed notice to the TLC, the city, and DOT of an impending civil suit worth up to $27.5 million.
"I think to her, her leg and not having it has no value, she's not looking for money, she's looking for justice," Marchese said.
Justice she didn't get from the Manhattan DA's office.
"Because there was nothing filed against this driver, they're very, very distraught about it, they're not happy about it, they're outraged," Marchese said.
A spokesperson from the city's law department said they will review the claim.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news, darla miles
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 34 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 58 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera 56 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
58 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
34 min ago