New York News
Police impersonator scamming elderly on Upper East Side
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A smooth con artist has been posing as a cop and has ripped off two dozen elderly women. He's somehow convincing them to give him money, sometimes more than $100,000.
Many of these grand larcenies have happened on the Upper East Side. The suspect has stolen hundreds of thousands of dollars from 24 elderly victims.
There is just one video of the man police suspect of impersonating a police officer with the evil intent of ripping off elderly victims in a crime wave that spans three years. Each year he has become more brazen and is finding more victims.
People are surprised when they hear the suspect boldly approaches elderly men and women.
Detectives are still trying to figure out how he picks his victims, many of whom have significant money.
He first poses as a police officer investigating bank holdings.
He gains their confidence and then he convinces them to give him money.
Sources say he has bilked nearly $429,000 from 18 victims. The most was $102,000 from a Brooklyn woman in June.
He began his ruthless pattern of grand larceny in June of 2011. He targeted four people in their 80's and 90's in four different months.
In 2012, there were six more elderly victims. He stole from two the same day, June 20th.
This year, he's preyed on 14 victims, two on June 21st. Others occurred several days in a row.
The video, police reveal, captured the suspect after he ripped off a 98-year-old woman, his 23rd victim. He was seen walking along Park Avenue. His latest victim was a 77-year-old woman also on the Upper East Side.
In that area, the 19th precinct, there have been a total of 13 victims in the last three years.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news, tim fleischer
- Designer L'Wren Scott dead in apparent suicide
- AccuWeather: Clearing And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Company insider comes forward against energy company
- Photos: NYC St. Patrick's Day Parade
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays
- Suspect accused of setting Brooklyn apartment fire 48 min ago
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up 17 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Earthquake shakes Los Angeles awake
- Tuesday last day to apply for TCS NYC Marathon 57 min ago
- Photos: Dancing With The Stars Season 18 cast
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast...
17 min ago