New York News
Harlem fire burns through row of businesses
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Investigators are on the scene of a massive fire that burned through a row of businesses in Harlem.
The five-alarm fire started in a hair salon at 212 West 145th Street at 7:45 p.m. Friday, and wasn't declared under control until 9:15 Saturday morning.
The fire spread to the cockloft of a row of stores with a church and a memorial chapel on either side of the hair salon.
Firefighters say they were able to contain the flames to the five buildings already damaged.
The Gospel Spreading Church of God and the James L. Perkins Memorial Chapel were fully engulfed in flames. A dollar store and another church also caught fire as the blaze spread.
The fire hit especially hard for one family, whose loved one was inside the funeral home ahead of her burial on Monday.
"She passed away while he was on his way going back home, and he came back up here to bury his mother, and now we have a fire in the chapel where she's going to be buried," said a family member.
Firefighters battled the fire from outside the buildings. They were pulled from the inside of the buildings because of the intensity of the flames.
Two firefighters suffered minor injuries.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, harlem, fire, new york city, new york news, josh einiger
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet 6 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Vietnam says cannot find object from...
6 min ago