New York News
Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
NEW YORK (WABC) -- At least 32 cars were involved in a crash Tuesday night along a stretch of the Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn.
Authorities say eight people suffered minor injuries in the chain-reaction pile-up around 8:20 p.m. near Sixth Avenue in Bay Ridge.
Officials did not say what triggered the accident, but icy road conditions were believed to be a factor.
The last car at the scene, a heavily-damaged BMW, was towed away around 6:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Most drivers were struck in the front and back of their vehicles, caught in the middle of all the other cars.
The roadway was shut down for hours, but has since reopened. Still, drivers are urged to use caution in case icy conditions persist.
The Department of Sanitation is working to salt the highway.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, brooklyn news, bay ridge, accident, new york news
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 1 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Newark tanker fire snarls traffic, delays NJ Transit trains
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Photos: Suspect wanted in attempted rape and robbery
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas 12 min ago
- Report: Average Wall Street bonus tops $164,000 24 min ago
- Malaysia denies report that missing plane kept flying 30 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane