New York News
Bronx child shot in the foot; Taken to hospital in serious condition
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A 9-year-old boy was shot in the foot in the Crotona Park East section of the Bronx.
Witnesses say the street was covered with kids heading home from school.
That's just what the 9-year-old boy was doing.
Right now he's recovering at Jacobi Hospital, his injuries are not life threatening.
Investigators shut down the Crotona Park East neighborhood, searching for evidence that will help hunt down the shooter.
The 9-year-old victim's cousin asked Eyewitness News to hide his identity, explaining that he carried the bleeding boy home and called 911.
"It was very emotional for me. I was in shock. My first thought was to grab him and get away," the victim's cousin said.
Witnesses say two men were arguing outside a bodega at East 175th Street and Prospect Avenue, one had a gun.
Detectives believe during the dispute the armed man accidentally fired a shot, hitting the child's left foot.
"He told me he was shot. He said, 'I'm shot, I'm shot,'" the victim's cousin said.
"Did he say anything else?" Eyewitness News asked.
"He was very afraid for his life. He told me, 'This is the first time I've ever got shot.' Oh my God, oh my God. He was bleeding everywhere, there was a lot of blood," his cousin said.
Elementary School 44 was sheltered-in for about 45 minutes because of the gunfire outside.
Police quickly alerted the principal that one of her second graders was hurt.
It happened at 4 Wednesday afternoon, after dismissal, and was in no way school related.
Parents in the neighborhood are extremely angry, saying there are several schools and daycares less than a block away from this chilling crime scene.
"It was very scary. People were running. There were kids coming out of school. I was scared, my daughter was terrified," a parent said.
Police are looking for three men who took off in a car, possibly a Lincoln Town Car.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news, carolina leid
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 55 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 58 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
58 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
55 min ago