New York News
Longshoremen, doctors part of oxycodone ring
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Longshoremen on Staten Island are part of an oxycodone ring busted up by the feds.
A doctor, chiropractor, pharmacist, and four longshoremen have been arrested and indicted on fraud and drug charges.
Prosecutors say they sold up to $1.8 million oxycodone pills, mostly to dockworkers, over the last four years.
Investigators say many of the workers were using the painkillers on the job.
NYPD Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly said, "This case is another example of criminals perpetuating and exploiting addiction, at great risk to the public's safety. It is especially despicable when licensed medical practitioners put profit over others' welfare. I commend the members of the NYPD's Organized Crime Investigations Division for their work in bringing the principals of this prescription drug and insurance fraud ring to justice."
Commissioner Ronald Goldstock of The Waterfront Commission of New York Harbor stated, "The Port is a dangerous place in which to work; those who we register deserve to be protected from co-workers who make decisions and operate machinery under the influence of narcotics and opioids. We will continue to use our investigative, administrative and drug testing authority to remove drug dealers and users from the docks. These arrests and our administrative revocations make even more disturbing the New York Shipping Association and I.L.A.'s unsuccessful attempts to curb the Commission's enforcement actions regarding drug testing in the Port."
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out 36 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring 50 min ago
- Russians, Crimeans discuss referendum on joining Russia
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game'...
36 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos