New York News
Queens third grader hit and killed by truck, driver charged
WOODSIDE (WABC) -- The driver of the tractor trailer that struck and killed an 8-year-old boy while he was walking to school, has been charged for driving without a license.
The truck driver was arraigned late Friday night. His bail was set at $2,000. His attorney had no comment.
But the focus of course was on this third grader, Noshat Nahian.
The community set up a memorial remembering a life cut to short. And now, a spokesperson for the family says the boy's father is recovering from a heart attack because of his grief.
Earlier Friday, Noshat's father had cried remembering his little boy.
He said that all he had was one son.
The boy was hit and killed crossing busy Northern Boulevard at 61st Street with his 11-year-old sister Friday morning on their way to school.
The family was new to the country, moving here a little over two months ago.
51-year-old Mauricio Osorio-Palominos, the driver of the truck that hit the third grader, is charged with driving without a valid license.
He worked for Road Techs out of New Jersey.
Students and parents outside PS 152, Nahian's school, called into question why there wasn't a crossing guard assigned to this busy intersection.
"That's the wrong thing. They have a crossing guard on one side. Why not on this side? Kids only cross street there. They should have everywhere," a parent said.
School administrations are working with police to figure out if that needs to change.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, queens news, woodside, child killed, pedestrian struck, new york news, carolina leid
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014