New York News
Good Riddance Day in Times Square to shred bad memories
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Days before crowds gather to welcome in 2014, people gathered in Times Square Saturday to say 'good riddance' to 2013.
A large shredding machine was made available for people to destroy unpleasant memories from the past year, and get ready to ring in the new year without them.
These included anything that could be shredded, including pictures of an old flame, mortgage documents, old tax records, or a pile of medical bills. Bad memories could also be written down to be shredded.
The annual Good Riddance Day is inspired by a Latin American tradition in which dolls are stuffed with objects representing bad memories and set on fire.
Those who couldn't make it to Times Square for the event could still say out with the old by tweeting with the hashtag #GoodRiddance.
An iPad was to be awarded to the participant on the scene with the most intriguing "good riddance" story.
The Johnson family from Hendersonville, North Carolina won this year's Good Riddance Day contest, and a trip to Times Square for the event, after a painful 2013.
Their 3-year old boy Bodey was diagnosed with kidney cancer, and underwent seven months of chemotherapy.
They were the first to voice their frustrations about the year, and planned to shred their medical bills, along with a picture of Bodey's cat scan.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, times square, new york news
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash