New York News
Handcuffed suspect escapes, flees on Cross Bronx
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police are searching for a suspect who managed to escape police custody while in handcuffs.
Officers pulled over 23-year old William Monge-Betancourt and another man Friday night, for speeding at 126th Street and Lexington Avenue in Harlem.
They stopped the vehicle on the westbound side of the Cross Bronx Expressway, where police say they found marijuana and narcotics in the car.
While in custody, Monge-Betancourt allegedly wrestled free from an officer and ran across the highway against oncoming traffic.
The other suspect was arrested without incident. Police say the officer suffered a minor hand injury when Monge-Betancourt ran away.
William Monge-Betancourt is described as being a 23 year old male Hispanic. He is approximately 5'8", 175 pounds with black hair and brown eyes.
Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).
The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website at http://WWW.NYPDCRIMESTOPPERS.COM or by texting their tips to CRIMES (274637) then enter TIP577.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, harlem, escaped prisoner, cross bronx expressway, new york news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97