New York News
Handcuffed suspect escapes, flees on Cross Bronx
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police are searching for a suspect who managed to escape police custody while in handcuffs.
Officers pulled over 23-year old William Monge-Betancourt and another man Friday night, for speeding at 126th Street and Lexington Avenue in Harlem.
They stopped the vehicle on the westbound side of the Cross Bronx Expressway, where police say they found marijuana and narcotics in the car.
While in custody, Monge-Betancourt allegedly wrestled free from an officer and ran across the highway against oncoming traffic.
The other suspect was arrested without incident. Police say the officer suffered a minor hand injury when Monge-Betancourt ran away.
William Monge-Betancourt is described as being a 23 year old male Hispanic. He is approximately 5'8", 175 pounds with black hair and brown eyes.
Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).
The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website at http://WWW.NYPDCRIMESTOPPERS.COM or by texting their tips to CRIMES (274637) then enter TIP577.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, harlem, escaped prisoner, cross bronx expressway, new york news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 53 min ago
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Man says he was unjustly pepper sprayed by police
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing Muslim girl 51 min ago
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos