New York News
Nassau County officer struck by fleeing suspect in Queens
QUEENS (WABC) -- An injured Nassau County police officer remains in North Shore Hospital Monday, recovering from serious injuries sustained during a frightening incident in Queens Sunday afternoon.
Both of the officer's legs were crushed while he attempted to make an arrest with other officers just after 4:30 p.m. in Jamaica Estates.
The incident began when officers with the Nassau County Bureau of Special Operations located 21-year-old Muhammad Ali, who was wanted in connection with an armed robbery in Hicksville that occurred on January 3.
Authorities say four plainclothes officers identified themselves, displayed their shields and approached Ali's vehicle after they blocked him in with two patrol cars.
That's when Ali allegedly attempted to flee from the scene in his car, and the situation spiraled out of control.
"He started to ram his way out of the parking spot," Nassau County Police Inspector Kenneth Lack said. "The suspect then pinned one of our officers between his car and one of the police officer's [cars], causing significant injuries to the officer's legs. The suspect then backs up over the curb. He's now on the sidewalk, pulls the car forward, attempts to run over one of our other officers, who fires two shots."
Ali, who police say has an extensive criminal record, was struck two times in the chest.
The injured officer, who was only identified as a 46-year-old 20-year veteran of the force, was rushed to North Shore Hospital in Manhasset where he is being treated for injuries to both legs.
Ali was transported to a Jamaica Hospital, where he is being treated for non-life threatening injuries.
The investigation is ongoing, and charges are pending.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, queens news, jamaica, hicksville, long island, long island news, nassau county news, police officer injured, shooting, police shooting, new york news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97 38 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
19 min ago