New York News
Midtown transformer fire causes building evacuation
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Fire officials are investigating an explosive underground transformer fire in Midtown Manhattan that led to the evacuation of a nearby building.
The Fire Department says flames and smoke began pouring out of a manhole on West 51st Street around 2:10 p.m. Monday.
Firefighters say several thousand people have been ordered to leave a nearby building because of carbon monoxide readings above normal levels.
The 23-story office building is near the Time-Life Building and Rockefeller Center.
Crews from utility Consolidated Edison are en route to assess the problem.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash 25 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- New measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 45 min ago
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 45 min ago
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 22 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns' 50 min ago
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash...
45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather...
25 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
45 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos