New York News
Midtown transformer fire causes building evacuation
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Fire officials are investigating an explosive underground transformer fire in Midtown Manhattan that led to the evacuation of a nearby building.
The Fire Department says flames and smoke began pouring out of a manhole on West 51st Street around 2:10 p.m. Monday.
Firefighters say several thousand people have been ordered to leave a nearby building because of carbon monoxide readings above normal levels.
The 23-story office building is near the Time-Life Building and Rockefeller Center.
Crews from utility Consolidated Edison are en route to assess the problem.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos