New York News
Midtown transformer fire causes building evacuation
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Fire officials are investigating an explosive underground transformer fire in Midtown Manhattan that led to the evacuation of a nearby building.
The Fire Department says flames and smoke began pouring out of a manhole on West 51st Street around 2:10 p.m. Monday.
Firefighters say several thousand people have been ordered to leave a nearby building because of carbon monoxide readings above normal levels.
The 23-story office building is near the Time-Life Building and Rockefeller Center.
Crews from utility Consolidated Edison are en route to assess the problem.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 41 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery 57 min ago
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms 54 min ago
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus 32 min ago
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span 6 min ago
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital