New York News
Police investigate death of 4-year old boy in Midtown
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police are investigating the suspicious death of a 4-year-old boy who was found in an empty bathtub in Midtown Manhattan.
At 10:50 Wednesday morning, officers responded to a 911 call from the Ritz Plaza apartment building at 235 West 48th Street, where the boy's babysitter lives.
They found the boy unconscious and unresponsive.
EMS responded and transported the child to Roosevelt Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The Medical Examiner will determine the cause of death and the investigation is ongoing.
The boy's identity has not yet been released.
The boy's 37-year old caregiver told police she had put the child on the bathroom counter and left the room briefly. Police say the woman told them that the boy fell off the counter and landed in the empty bathtub.
But detectives say he had cuts and third-degree burns on his body, including cigarette burns.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, child death, new york city, new york news
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos