New York News
Bronx woman fatally struck by alleged drunk driver
PARKCHESTER (WABC) -- A man is under arrest on charges of driving while intoxicated after police say he struck and killed a pedestrian in the Bronx Saturday evening.
The incident occurred at East Tremont Avenue and Van Nest Avenue just before 5:30.
When police arrived at the scene, they found 32-year-old Nydja Herring, a mother of two toddlers, unconscious and unresponsive. Herring was taken to Einstein Hospital, where she was pronounced dead on arrival.
Police say the driver, 28-year old Augustus Jenkins of Montgomery, New York, was traveling eastbound on East Tremont Avenue when he struck the victim as she was crossing the street. According to police, Jenkins was drunk and had three passengers in his car, including a woman and two boys ages 4 and 10.
Jenkins was uninjured, and taken into custody. In addition to DWI charges, he is also charged with driving without a license.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest 16 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Arrests in counterfeit health and beauty products case
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege 23 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid...
16 min ago
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
23 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos