New York News
Police make arrest in murder of Brooklyn teen at party
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police have made an arrest in the murder of a teenager killed at a party in Brooklyn.
16-year-old Iquan Williams was shot to death at a party in Brownsville last Saturday.
Saturday night, police charged 17-year-old Jahiem Spruill of Brooklyn with Murder and Criminal Possession of a weapon.
Williams' younger brother said he read on Facebook that someone was planning to fire a gun into the party. Williams had promised his parents he'd be home by 10 p.m. as he left the party.
Police say he was shot in the head outside a building, but his parents have said they don't believe he was the target.
Last Wednesday, Williams' parents demanded justice in his death and joined others in a rally against gun violence.
"Our son was bright," mom Tianna Green said. "He had a full life ahead of him."
Iquan's parents reached out to him to tell him not to go to the party, but it was too late. Williams was shot in the head around 10:30 p.m.
"You don't know what you took away from us," dad Keith Williams said. "You all didn't even know my son, and for no reason, he's dead for nothing. It's senseless."
The family got support and love from a community ravaged by gun violence. They had planned the meeting at the National Action Network to coincide with the third anniversary of the shooting of Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.
Just about everyone there had been touched by gun violence, not in faraway Arizona, but much closer to home. Iquan wanted more than anything to escape, Green said.
"'Mom, I want to get up on out of this hood,'" she said. "Even his friends say for him to be 16, he spoke ahead of his years."
His mother said Iquan sent them a message that he would be home soon and told her he loved her.
"We don't sleep at night," she said. "There's no more sleeping. Please, Iquan did not deserve this. My family did not deserve this."
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, brownsville, brooklyn news, shooting, new york city, new york news
- Fire tears through Carlstadt post office 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 49 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire 23 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 5 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
49 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos