New York News
Avonte Oquendo funeral plans announced
NEW YORK -- Weekend services will be held for a 14-year-old autistic boy who disappeared from his Queens school in October.
The family's lawyer says Avonte Oquendo's funeral will take place at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Church of Saint Joseph in Greenwich Village.
It will be preceded by a private service at the Greenwich Village Funeral Home.
The medical examiner said Tuesday that a body found last week along the East River was Avonte's.
Lawyer David Perecman says the family believes school officials failed to monitor Avonte and didn't call police quickly enough.
The new education chancellor, Carmen Farina, said she's heartbroken and determined to learn from the incident. The city's law department also called the boy's death a tragedy and said it would review a lawsuit the family is planning.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, avonte oquendo, missing children, queens news, long island city, new york news
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause 32 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mayor names Kathryn Garcia new head of sanitation
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Photos: Bus hits cars in Brooklyn
- Man, 65, shot to death on street in Clinton Hill
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for...
32 min ago