New York News
Queens mom, daughter beaten to death with a hammer
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police in Queens are investigating the grisly murders of a mother and daughter in East Elmhurst.
Officers were called to a home on 87th Street just after midnight Wednesday.
There, they found 56-year-old Estrella Castaneda and her 25-year-old daughter Lina Castaneda dead in their bedrooms.
Authorities say both had serious head injuries, which appeared to have been inflicted with a hammer.
A man was taken into custody at the scene who is the mother's boyfriend.
Carlos Amarillo, 44, is charged with two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of criminal possession of a weapon.
Detectives say he waited patiently at the crime scene after calling 911 himself, claiming the women had cast a spell on him.
"Two females are dead," he told the operator. "They were assassinated. Hurry, they are dead. I killed them because they are witches. I want the police to kill me. I killed them with a hammer."
Police officers were seen moments later, carrying the younger woman's 7-year-old daughter from the house. She was not physically harmed, and it is believed she slept through the incident.
Some neighbors said they heard the hammering, but could not possibly imagine the horror unfolding inside the home.
Friends of the victims described them as quiet, private Colombian immigrants who attended the local Roman Catholic Church.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, queens news, elmhurst, murder, new york news, n.j. burkett
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos